Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

How do I edit it myself?

Have a question about how to do something in the datafiles? Ask it here, we'll help if we can. NOTE: We cannot teach you how to use ABCREATE or how our files work, we don't have the time.

How do I edit it myself?

#1  Postby paxmiles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Not completely meaning to rude, but lots of issues with the Dark Angels codex, but seems to have no changes in sight given the responses in the bug tracker. If I can't rely on AB40k maintainers to make the product work, I should attempt to do it myself.

How do I edit the Dark Angel's army builder file?
-Pax
paxmiles
Recruit
Recruit

Re: How do I edit it myself?

#2  Postby jlong05 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 pm

paxmiles wrote:Not completely meaning to rude, but lots of issues with the Dark Angels codex, but seems to have no changes in sight given the responses in the bug tracker. If I can't rely on AB40k maintainers to make the product work, I should attempt to do it myself.

How do I edit the Dark Angel's army builder file?
-Pax
Not meaning to be completely rude, but if you are bitching about the files not being updated quick enough, threatening to just do it yourself, and then have the gall to ask how the hell we do it, might I suggest you shut up and just wait for an official update?

Really, us having to waste time teaching you how to edit the files simply further delays us from getting the work done ourselves. 

Now, that asside, you are more than welcome to edit the files yourself. I woudl suggest reading all the docs available for file editing on the LoneWolf site.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#3  Postby paxmiles » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 am

jlong05 wrote:Not meaning to be completely rude, but if you are bitching about the files not being updated quick enough, threatening to just do it yourself, and then have the gall to ask how the hell we do it, might I suggest you shut up and just wait for an official update?

Really, us having to waste time teaching you how to edit the files simply further delays us from getting the work done ourselves. 

Now, that asside, you are more than welcome to edit the files yourself. I woudl suggest reading all the docs available for file editing on the LoneWolf site.

Yeah, I was bitching. Sorry. I did mean to be rude when I said it. Your response is reasonable.

My beef with the AB40k datafiles is when something comes up as "requires GW FAQ." We may disagree on rulings, but not being able to use army builder to follow my ruling hinders my enjoyment of army builder. Hence, asking to understand how to edit the files for my personal understanding of the rules.

I have no issues with the speed of resolution on rules that we do agree on. You have all been quite helpful on this point. I'm very happy to wait for updates if it appears that updates will resolve my issues. It was made clear that my issues will not be resolved.

As for suggestions on how to edit it myself, those are wanted. I will check the lone wolf site as advised. Thanks.
-Pax

PS: I was venting when I posted initially. I am sorry. I do mean it. You guys have been quite helpful to me in the past and my remarks were undeserved.
paxmiles
Recruit
Recruit

#4  Postby paxmiles » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:42 pm

I hate to bump this post, but...it's pretty clear that there is no intention of fixing the bugs I post.

This one was started with this bug reporting:[url]
http://www.ab40k.org/tracker.php?p=27&t=3012[/url]
Bug posted in version 1.27

Not fixed, informed won't be fixed. Then the rant above. Then Spack posted this one to address my legitimate bug posting, even if I was rude in getting it addressed, which seemed kind of him.
[url]
http://www.ab40k.org/tracker.php?p=27&t=3018[/url]
That's version 1.27

It's version 1.37 and over 6 months later. Other DA issues have been resolved, including ones I posted anonymously.

If you've no intention of fixing it, just mark it "Will not Fix, dislike poster" and I can have some resolve with that. I very much prefer a straight forward, we hate you paxmiles, than the round about, we don't fix issues posted by paxmiles and have no intention of directly informing him of that.
-Pax
paxmiles
Recruit
Recruit

#5  Postby shaggai » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 am

We do appreciate the effort taken in finding errors and bringing them to our attention, we really do.

The problem is that none of the maintainers devote as much time to this project as we would like since we need to work our usual 40 hours a week, spend time with their families and generally live a life outside of these files. We hope to have part of this issue corrected soon by adding more maintainers to the project to spread the work load, especially since I think more codices (and other supplements) have come out in 6th edition (in some form) than ever came out before in any single edition of the game - and within a smaller span of time.

So this is not to belittle the poster as I have better things to do and replying to this post does take time that I would like to spend elsewhere (like correcting errors). Just realize that there needs to be some patience involved here...

shaggai / Lead Maintainer, AB40k files.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6  Postby paxmiles » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:53 am

I completely understand patience. Bug was posted in version 1.27. It's presently version 1.38. I'm questioning if you actually intend to fix it, given that the post is still marked "new" in the DA bug thread.

I do very much sympathize with the work load and I think highly of those that volunteer to make this program work.

At present, the patience reply seems misleading. I have very much loved this program in the past, so my strong replies are that of disappointment. I don't mean disrespect. At this point, I'm presently debating an uninstallation of the program.

I understand your enormous work load may be the larger issue, but the issue at hand is that the program doesn't do what it needs to do. I need the program to work and I've been relying on a patch that clearly isn't being addressed, hence the post.
paxmiles
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Datafile Programming Support