Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Generic Unit - is it possible to change stats?

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Generic Unit - is it possible to change stats?

#1  Postby Spack » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 am

I've been toying with adding custom units to a list, and I'm a bit stumped by the Generic Unit. It has FOC slot and cost adjustments, but no way of adjusting stats that I can see. Am I missing something, or is there currently no way of setting the stats? Is it possible to add to the Options +- buttons for each stat?
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2  Postby Rayne » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 am

If you guys do make changes to the generic unit, could you put a tab on it so you can tell it if its a vehicle or a footslogger, so you can put armor values and such, or toughness/wounds.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#3  Postby shaggai » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:06 am

I do believe that the true intention of it was to make your note on paper and let AB know the cost and where it goes on the FOC so you could complete your list. I don't believe it was meant for a completely customizable unit (pick strength, wounds, etc).

Of course I don't think that there's any reason that it couldn't be modified for that purpose in the future, however.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4  Postby Chunky_Baby » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:55 am

I think it would be awesome to have a "custom unit" that you could build at will.

Couple of things though:

It could encourage a bit of manipulation...although you can always do that if you export to Word first before printing (so don't see an issue)

You "might" get into trouble with GW as theorectically someone could then "build" their own Dex off of new ones?
Kill!! Maim!!! Burn!!!!
Kharn the Betrayer

World Eaters: <B> ONCE</B> the embodiment of slaughter...now nerfed - thanks GW...
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#5  Postby Spack » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:02 am

If someone is going to manipulate their list, not having a generic unit with stats adjustment is not going to stop them. As to the GW angle, as the AB files themselves won't be listing the actual stats and costs from a new codex I can't see why they would have a problem with it - it would require the user to set the stats and points costs.

If it would be easy enough to add "(generic unit)" or some other text to the unit that is included on the printout then it should be obvious, at least in the cases where the user prints directly from AB, that the unit isn't included as part of the actual codex units.
Dan
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6  Postby Fyrebyrd » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:58 pm

Or even posting a warning that would print out on the Generic Unit stating that this unit is not sanctioned by GW.
Fyrebyrd
Fyrebyrd
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#7  Postby Chunky_Baby » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:42 pm

eitehr way I think it would be great to have a unit type like this - it really allows you to use VDR and maybe even some of the older releases (if ok'd by your opponent).

Looking forward to seeing it :)
Kill!! Maim!!! Burn!!!!
Kharn the Betrayer

World Eaters: <B> ONCE</B> the embodiment of slaughter...now nerfed - thanks GW...
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#8  Postby Fyrebyrd » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Chunky_Baby wrote:eitehr way I think it would be great to have a unit type like this - it really allows you to use VDR and maybe even some of the older releases (if ok'd by your opponent)

I don't know if you know this Chunky, VDR/Tyranid Monstrousities already exist in AB, following the rules from the Chapter Approved books. :?

But it would certainly help build lists that aren't supported by the AB maintainers(i.e. squats, or user made codexes) :P
Last edited by Fyrebyrd on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fyrebyrd
Fyrebyrd
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#9  Postby Spack » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm

VDR is already covered, so that's not an issue. This generic unit would be most useful for made up datasheets for Apocalypse, which does suggest making up units and/or vehicles.

I'm only suggesting the change from a purely aesthetic point of view - I'd rather print out direct from AB and not then have to go writing over the zeros with the stats, or having to mess around exporting to HTML/XML and then printing the edited output.

As well as the existing Generic Unit it'd also be handy to have a Generic Vehicle and Generic Walker as these have their own stat column layouts which would not fit the Generic Unit - or would it even be possible to have a tab on the Generic Unit that would allow the display columns and stat counters to be changed based on a Unit Type selector?
Dan
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10  Postby Fyrebyrd » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:29 pm

Spack wrote: VDR is already covered, so that's not an issue. This generic unit would be most useful for made up datasheets for Apocalypse, which does suggest making up units and/or vehicles.

A brilliant idea!

Spack wrote: I'm only suggesting the change from a purely aesthetic point of view - I'd rather print out direct from AB and not then have to go writing over the zeros with the stats

I agree it does get annoying to have to whiteout the zeros first.

Spack wrote:As well as the existing Generic Unit it'd also be handy to have a Generic Vehicle and Generic Walker as these have their own stat column layouts which would not fit the Generic Unit - or would it even be possible to have a tab on the Generic Unit that would allow the display columns and stat counters to be changed based on a Unit Type selector?

I think it would probably be easier to make different generic units than all one the same and have different selectors. :|
Fyrebyrd
Fyrebyrd
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#11  Postby harkan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm

we currently have a stage of maintenance n cleaning up in the files so we may be able to squeeze this in now. Sorting some code issues out and retro testing them takes lead as well as adding in IA renegades and chaos versions of imperial formations in AP but this generic stuff should be just an evenings work for a maintainer at a loose end lol
harkan
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12  Postby Rayne » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 am

See! That was what i was talking about before! That way you can tell the difference between a infantry model, a walker, or a vehicle. :P
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#13  Postby Spack » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 am

Harkan, did you just volunteer? :P

Oh, who's supposed to maintain the site? The "empty" image for having no avatar is missing (been meaning to post that for a long long time) :oops:
Dan
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions