Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

New army for me!

Discussion not related to the 40k datafiles, or anything else in particular.

What Army Should I Build Next?

Thousand Sons
14%
Imperial Guard
50%
Orcz
14%
Death Guard
No votes
Eldar/Harlequins
7%
Tau
No votes
Daemonhunters
14%

Total votes : 14

New army for me!

#1  Postby Rayne » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 am

I started playing back in 3rd edition with the Dark Eldar warriors that nobody wanted out of the old starter boxes. So now ive got a 4k points in Dark Eldar.

When i moved, i forgot my army with my aunt, and my birthday rolled around, so i splurged and now i own 4k points in Sisters of Battle.

I decided to convert all my Sisters into Slaaneshi Sisters, so with a little bit of arguing and clever modeling, i can say that my sisters are either Chaos or SoB.

The new Dark Angels army came out, so i splurged and have around 3k points in Dark Angels.

Now my birthday is rolling around again, i still have money in my bank, and its about time to splurge again. :P So what army should i buy next?

And before you ask why Necron and Tyranids arnt on the poll, its because im buying Tyranids for a friend to get him into the game as a birthday gift (Just a starter box) and because i hate Necrons with an undying passion.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#2  Postby Spack » Fri May 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Go Imperial Guard! Lots of men, lots of tanks, and more importantly your money will likely not go as far points wise so it'll take longer for you to buy enough to the point where you're bored with them :twisted:
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3  Postby Wraithlord » Fri May 25, 2007 5:52 pm

Thousand Sons. They suck right now but the new chaos codex is around the corner (sept/oct) and from all rumours and leaked info, they will be very deadly again. Plus the models are awesome :D
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#4  Postby Col_Stone » Sat May 26, 2007 2:42 am

I agree with both previous posters, but top vote goes to guard, they're just a little bit cooler imho
Son of the trinity of Corruption
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#5  Postby Rayne » Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 am

If i go guard, ive already decided that im going to be doing the Martian Skitarii, with backup from the Adeptus Titanicus and Centurio Ordinatus.

I thought about doing Thousand Sons too, but if i do, id rather save up my money and then get what i want after the new 'dex comes out. Its a waste if i buy things now only to find out i cant use them later.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#6  Postby Col_Stone » Sat May 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Rayne wrote:If i go guard, ive already decided that im going to be doing the Martian Skitarii, with backup from the Adeptus Titanicus and Centurio Ordinatus.

Sooo cool
it's just about the only 40k army i still wanna get:)
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#7  Postby Rayne » Sun May 27, 2007 10:41 am

Only 6 votes? thats not a whole lot. :( And they are all tied too. :(
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#8  Postby jlong05 » Sun May 27, 2007 8:45 pm

Rayne.. Tie Broken. Go iGuard. They have too many conversion/alternate uses available to them not to go that way.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#9  Postby Rayne » Sun May 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Okie Dokie. :)
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#10  Postby Lemmings » Tue May 29, 2007 2:45 am

I am such a follower :cry: I wanted to vote Orkses but guard is more viable, if not quite as fun...
Lemmings
Cultist
Cultist

#11  Postby Rayne » Tue May 29, 2007 10:03 am

Since im going to do IG then, any recommendations on good doctrines or units? Right now, i have my eyes on a Skitarii theme, using the doctrines of Techpriests, Veterans, Carapace Armor, Cameleoline, and Cyber Enhancements.

Im just playing around with lists before i actually buy any models, and right now for 2000 pts, i have a Command Platoon with a Junior Officer with Storm Bolter, Heavy Bolter Team, Master Vox, Grenade Launcher and frag grenades (for leftover points filler) 2 Fire Support Squads of 2 Autocannons and 1 heavy bolter each, 2 Squads of Techpriests with Signum, Stormbolter and Surveyor, with 1 tech Servitor, 2 Heavy Bolter Servitors, and 1 Plasma Cannon, 2 Infantry Platoons with the Junior Officer having a surveyor and Stormbolter, Vox, and Heavy Bolter Team, 2 of the 4 Infantry squads with Heavy Bolter and Vox, the other 2 with Autocannons and Vox. 2 Hardened Vet squads with Heavy Bolters, Vox, and 3 Grenade Launchers each, no transports so i can infiltrate into nice covered fire positions, then for heavy support ive got a basilisk with Imp. Coms. and Indirect fire, and 2 Leman Russ Demolishers with Lascannon hull, Plasma Cannon Turrets, Track Guards, Pintle Stubber, and Extra Armor.

Lemme know if there are any blatent weaknesses here that a veteran Iguard player would see, but a newbie guardswoman wouldnt. ^_^
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#12  Postby Lemmings » Tue May 29, 2007 1:23 pm

I don't make army list recommendations, but I recommend playing without doctrines for a bit to get used to the feel of guard.
Lemmings
Cultist
Cultist

#13  Postby Col_Stone » Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 pm

if you're using a junior officer you can scrap the vox:es for veteran squads
I usually load my vets full with meltas and a plasma pistol for the sarge, then infiltrate them to blow up some nice tank,, nothing beats aggressive playing with guard(i play catachans tho)
and lemmings is spot on too..
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#14  Postby Rayne » Tue May 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Ive had bad experiances with infiltrate, as most people i know use auspexes and like as points filler, and that usually kills all my infiltrators. So im wary on infiltrating near enemy troops. The people i usually play are mostly infantry. the person i play the most is Space Marines, with no vehicles. 100% infantry. And they usually outnumber me 2 to 1.

And with all the autocannons, i felt that i should have had more than enough anti-armor, since most people dont field Land Raiders, im not aiming for Monoliths, and i can almost always hit a Russ's side armor with all the cannons i have.

Meltaguns are bad luck for me too. With my sisters, every time i use a meltagun in melta rule range, i roll lots of boxcars, and end up blowing my squad to bits (and the vehicle, but i can never wound the silly troops inside transports, even on a catastrophic explodity, and my sisters die from the resulting explosion)
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#15  Postby Wraithlord » Wed May 30, 2007 12:55 am

As far as Infiltrate goes, try using as I do: a way to see how your opponent deploys before you have to. I rarely deploy my infs outside of the deployment zone actually, I just watch what the opponent does and then place my models accordingly, be it to break up his movement strategy to to force certain parts of his army to face all of mine.
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to Gaming Room