Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

maybe somebody can help the newb? :)

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

maybe somebody can help the newb? :)

#1  Postby Mondstrahl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:14 am

hello,
as what i call a noob in the world of ab, i have some questions that maybe you, the community, could answer.
1. cant find things i think i need
and before i list them, here is the question:
am i too blind or whatever to find these things?
eye of terror, creature feature and some working vdr.
since i read the policies of this site i understood that the latest apocalypse sheets need some time before getting integrated. so those are not mentioned.
is it maybe possible, that, as i updated the 40k file an did not uncheck the box (delete nonupdated...) ,the files for the listed things went into data-nirvana? or is it simply not in the files, because gw didnt want those rules to be official anymore? pls enlighten me, and yes, i feel kind of stupid already, but the reason i had to ask is that i have a glimpse of a memory of creating own cf-units with ab.
2. since apocalypse allows "mixed teams" i wonder why i cant create vraks and csm together. sure there is this formation. but it is also an army of its own, like the eye of terror mutants that i miss. maybe you can also explain this to me. i only can suggest, that they dont fit cause they count as expanions each with different rulesets. but would be nice to build some armies around these themes , too. one thing ab is made for is making huge armies, organising a lot of manpower, and of course to get numbers out of it :) . at the moment im planing a huge campaign and the great enemy, the ursupator, is chaos ant its forms are infinite. never can a chapter hold a city without ig, and never chaos will have no effect on its surrounding. means: if there is chaos, there are traitors, mutants, maybe daemons. the question: where are the allies?
3. a lot more if the answers to all my questions will be : not integrated, but feel free to help or something like this. :) but seriously, in a few weeks, when i have more time, ill try to edit the chaos file if i understand abcreator a bit more.
sry for my bad english, no native speaker.
hope to hear from one of you.
Mond
Mondstrahl
Recruit
Recruit

Re: maybe somebody can help the newb? :)

#2  Postby Spack » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:20 am

Mondstrahl wrote:1. cant find things i think i need
and before i list them, here is the question:
am i too blind or whatever to find these things?
eye of terror, creature feature and some working vdr.

Eye of Terror was a campaign codex which is no longer supported by GW. 3 of the lists have been dropped completely - Lost and the Damned can't be used because there is no FAQ to allow it to work with the new CSM codex, USF is dropped because the new Eldar codex replaces it, Cadians are dropped because the IG codex replaces it. The only remaining list, Space Wolf 13th Company, is in the AB files - you need to select it from the Chapters list in the ruleset options.

Creature Feature isn't in the lists because it's not an army - it's was just to add odd creatures to the game. Parts of it however are - the Xenos Mounts doctrine for Imperial Guard is in the IG list. You can use the Generic Unit for these though - just turn the option on in the ruleset, and reset the filter (click the little lightning bolt button to the right of the Name box at the top of the screen, and choose Reset Filter), and look for Generic Unit.

VDR is in AB - you need to turn it on from the roster options. You also need to reset any filters you have on the roster - click the little lightning bolt button to the right of the Name box at the top of the screen, and choose Reset Filter, then look for "VDR Custom Vehicle". This should give you a couple of VDR unit entries that you can set the options for and it will cost them up for you. You could also use the Generic Unit and just set the cost, and use the VDR itself outside of AB. I've even got a VDR calc on my web site at http://www.ageofstrife.com/tools/vdr if that's of any help :)

Mondstrahl wrote:2. since apocalypse allows "mixed teams" i wonder why i cant create vraks and csm together. sure there is this formation. but it is also an army of its own, like the eye of terror mutants that i miss. maybe you can also explain this to me. i only can suggest, that they dont fit cause they count as expanions each with different rulesets. but would be nice to build some armies around these themes , too. one thing ab is made for is making huge armies, organising a lot of manpower, and of course to get numbers out of it :) . at the moment im planing a huge campaign and the great enemy, the ursupator, is chaos ant its forms are infinite. never can a chapter hold a city without ig, and never chaos will have no effect on its surrounding. means: if there is chaos, there are traitors, mutants, maybe daemons. the question: where are the allies?

If you go to Roster menu and choose Select Allies, what do you see? Make sure the Apocalypse ruleset has been enabled.

In general though, AB isn't flexible enough to handle this fully. You can only apply one ruleset per list, so you can only access the "vanilla" allied lists. Eg. you couldn't have a Cadian IG list and add Death Korp allies, because they are using 2 different rulesets. What you can do though is decide on your points split and create multiple AB lists - eg. 2000 pts of Cadian + Death Korp might be 1200pts Cadian + 800pts Death Korp, so just create a 1200pt Cadian list and then create a new list for the 800pts Death Korp.

Mondstrahl wrote:3. a lot more if the answers to all my questions will be : not integrated, but feel free to help or something like this. :) but seriously, in a few weeks, when i have more time, ill try to edit the chaos file if i understand abcreator a bit more.

Just remember that anything you edit will be lost if you import a new AB datafile set. It would be better if you told the maintainers what you think is wrong - if it is a mistake then it'll get corrected in the datafile releases, and if it's not we'll tell you why. Use the Bug Tracker to report errors (you can get to it from the Bug Tracker link in the menu at the upper right of any page, or on the home page).
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3  Postby Mondstrahl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:58 pm

thanks for your answer.
from my oint of view the loss of the big mutants (because the stats are altered in apocalypse) hits me hard, but... world goes on.
i have to admit that the reset filter option helped me a lot. again thx for pointing it out for me. feel a bit ashamed not to find it myself.

2. i did not see the armies or entries mentioned :) bit i think this case is cleared now :)

3. prob is, there is nothing wrong :) in fact you do an excellent job here.
again thx for help. reason why i will get me some time with the creator is a general curiousity of mine to understand things :) if there is omething i consider worth to get critisized, i ll let you know. so far, it is only sweet satifaction with the program, the files, the people who do a great thing here.

so far
Mond

ps. did i mentioned thx for the quick help ?:)
Mondstrahl
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions