Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

New info on Codex: SM Redux

Advance news or just a rumour, post them here for all to see.

New info on Codex: SM Redux

#1  Postby Wraithlord » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:02 pm

From Warseer:

Firstly, I didnt place this under the 600 post thread because honestly its gotten to long for any normal person to read. This has tons of good info and I think people will be very happy with this.

I just got talking to my long time friend a game developer in the studio about the rumors of the Codex Space Marine Redux. He is very reliable and has no reason to lie to me. I thought I would post a few points of our discussion below.

1) Codex Space Marine is low priority and won’t be coming out for at least 2 years or more if it comes. Currently they are the biggest seller and don’t think it needs too much attention such as other ones. Tons of focus is being put on the upcoming Orcs they really want to get it right.

2) The way terminator squads work will not be changing at all. Also the number of heavy weapons they can take will be 2 as it always has been. They changed this in the DA codex only because of the flexibility of mixing assault/normal terminator squads and give the Death Wing a distinct feel.

3) Lascannons will not be going up in price such as in the DA codex. The reason this was done is because they really wanted to make people use Plasma Cannons in DA army to help give it a distinct look.

4) Rhinos/Razorbacks will be dropping in price. With the current 4th edition rules they realize now that they are a tad overpriced and underused currently. (P.S. expect to see a decrease in all track transports, i.e. IG, chaos)

5) Assault cannons will not be changed in function but about a 5point increase across the board will be placed upon them. They currently feel they are not overpowered but need a slight point increase. (Side note here I asked him about starcannons and he said that a 36" AP2 weapon with 3 shots was just too good because no other army has that many plasma shots for weapons so it was changed to 2. Also the range of the 24" assault cannon helps keeps it in control and that it can’t be placed in many units helps control it.) (Thank God)!!!

6) Scouts in Codex Space marine will remain troop. This was once again changed to help change the feel of the DA codex and make it more unique.

7) Tactical squads will be changing but not how people think. Combat squads will not be done the same way in the new codex as the DA codex. He would not give me too much info on this but he said it will only give more options to people. (After bugging him about this for a long time I think that they plan on making Krak/Frag Grenades and possibly pistols free if you buy 10 man squads to promote larger squads). He did assure me though those SM tac squads will only get better because currently they need some tweaking. (I took away from the conversation that you will get a “bonus” if you take 10 man squads such as free wargear)

8) Vehicles will be getting a tad cheaper and no worries Dreadnaughts will not be going up in price. In codex DA they didnt want assault cannons used but instead the more fluffy Plasma Cannons (They plan on selling plastic plasma cannon and need to make it more attractive to sell).

9) The armory will not be going away they want the flexibility to remain.

10) Powerfists will go up a few points in squads but not much and other things such as LCs will become slightly cheaper for single wound models. (They feel that it’s become the only option people take now)

11) They plan on adding some new traits and expanding this somewhat. Also the disadvantages will be changed some and he said that We stand alone is as good as gone ha-ha!

12) Drop Pods will be going up in price but losing the immobilized issue. Expect a 25% increase in cost. (also a plastic DP is coming)

13) Basically he finished up by saying they don’t plan on doing a major overhaul on the codex and to "nerf" the codex mostly they want to expand some options such as traits to help promote do it yourself chapters because it has helped people "buy" more stuff in order to create more original armies. He did stress also to me that people should not read to much into what has changed in just the DA codex it was done to give the army an more unique flavor the same as you cant expect to see the changed from the BT codex.
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#2  Postby jlong05 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Looks good and sounds good. Personally I am having a wait and see. I have my BA army still basically boxed, and am waiting to see if I ever get around to building it. Probbaly will wait till their codex redux happens. in 2010. :twisted:

BTW. I fixed your threat subject. you had it as DM Redux.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#3  Postby Cheesehead » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:29 pm

(Side note here I asked him about starcannons and he said that a 36" AP2 weapon with 3 shots was just too good because no other army has that many plasma shots for weapons so it was changed to 2.

Basically, what he said is that the Eldar are the only race that have that, so they had to nerf it?

Why oh Why did they not just limit its availabiilty like they did the donkeygun?
Cheesehead
Recruit
Recruit

#4  Postby Col_Stone » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 pm

11) They plan on adding some new traits and expanding this somewhat. Also the disadvantages will be changed some and he said that We stand alone is as good as gone ha-ha!

that surpsrise anybody? :lol:
Son of the trinity of Corruption
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#5  Postby Wraithlord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:37 am

Not at all. I mean really, how much of a disadvantage was that??
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#6  Postby Col_Stone » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 pm

i've faced only one SM-trait army without it, and he was using Grey knights..

Drop pods costing more.. i think that's a good thing,

abt the starcannon, i sure would have liked to see it stay H3, Eldar hightech and such is a good enough background for it, but on the other hand eldar haven't got proper targeters in their tanks either :P
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#7  Postby Cheesehead » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:57 pm

I'd have been happy seeing it restricted to vehicular deployment only. Oh well.
Cheesehead
Recruit
Recruit

#8  Postby Col_Stone » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:57 pm

The SC you mean?.. yeah that would have worked aswell:)
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#9  Postby Wraithlord » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:45 pm

I guess that later on in the thread that I got the original quote from, Gav Thorpe makes a post that squashes this entire idea by saying that Codex: Space Marines is definitely NOT getting a redux.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#10  Postby Col_Stone » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:50 am

8O That's uncommon, but the codex is so new that they might want to squash stuff before it gts out of hand..

what's up in the rumourworld besides that then W?
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#11  Postby Wraithlord » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 pm

The Chaos codex is going to be the next 40K release later this year. DA now, supposedly Apocalypse in summer, and Chaos in the end of the year. No real info on what exactly will be the changes yet.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#12  Postby jlong05 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah, I had heard Saturday at a game that Orks got delayed due to 'argueing of abilities and points' and that Chaos would be next with the BA update after that. Not sure the validity of that though. Although if it were true I wouldnt mind as I was just started a BA army last year and never got around to really modeling alot of it. A new dex may regain my interest in them. 8)
Last edited by jlong05 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#13  Postby Col_Stone » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:33 pm

I would mind the Ork-dex being pushed back but GW never calls me and asks what my opinions are :P
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#14  Postby Wraithlord » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:57 am

According to the GW guys at the Windsor Conflict last month, the Orks have been delayed due to problems with the plastics, nothing else.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#15  Postby Col_Stone » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:55 pm

ok,,:)
I read something at warseer by someone, that the orkz might end up with a lot of rules without minis for a good while, dunno what to make of that,
I really don't think GW would release any Dex without the surrounding massrelease of minis
Col_Stone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to 40K Rumors and News